Tuesday, October 13, 2015

T-Shirts & Genes

Today I had a "bonus" appointment at MD Anderson.  Unrelated to my chemo/treatment, I met with a genetic counselor regarding further genetic testing they are recommending for me.  Nine years ago, when I was first diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer, I had genetic testing done (BRCA-1 & BRCA-2.)  Since then, there have been more cancer-related and breast-cancer-specific genes discovered and researched.  Submitting a blood sample to test for these "new" genes is a tool to assess my daughters', mother's and sister's risk of developing a genetically-linked breast cancer .  So I decided to go ahead and do it.  It is amazing that in just 9 years, there have been discoveries significant enough to warrant further testing.  The longer I'm able to survive cancer, the more medical advancements and treatment options there will be for me!

In other news, it's Day 13 of my pink ribbon selfie project, and I'm wearing one of our Pink Ribbon Shop Original t-shirts, the Pray for a Cure tee.  We call it the T/pray for short.  It's not a new design, but this year it received an update (similar to how our Promote Breast Cancer Awareness tee did.)  What can I say, it's a year of t-shirt sentimentality, born out of necessity!  Resurrecting some old designs and updating them with some fresh colors was a simple way to "create" a few "new" products at a time when we had little or no time to dedicate to The Pink Ribbon Shop because I was very ill.

Anyhoo, here it is, selfie #13 taken in our humble little screenprinting shop.  Because we print many of our t-shirt designs right here, on-site, we are able to have virtually all sizes in stock and ready-to-ship, and also accommodate team and custom orders.  This also gives us the ability to offer more competitive pricing.

 
 
By the way, I was beginning to think that me and the selfie stick were getting to be friends.  Not so!  This one took around, oh, 10-12 tries.  And still it's fuzzy.  And I'm shiny.  Forgive me!

No comments:

Post a Comment