Thursday, November 19, 2009

Relay for Life...a way to give back!

Barbara,

Congratulations on being a 6 year survivor! Relay for Life is a wonderful way to give back. As a survivor myself, I also feel the need to give back and create awareness for all kinds of cancer. I hope that your team had a great time at the relay. You are blessed to have so much support from your co-workers. What a blessing that your brother was able to receive a kidney afterall. I wish you many years ahead as a survivor.

Amy


In 2003, my brother was dying from a kidney disease and needed a transplant. I tested for him and was found to be a complete match! With much hope in our hearts, we were scheduled for surgery on a Tuesday morning in January. That Wednesday before, the transplant team called me and said I had not had a mammogram that year and would have to have one before surgery. So I rushed up to the hospital, had it and went home to prepare for the transplant. That Friday I received yet another call……they had found cancer. So, I did indeed have surgery, but not what I had planned. I had a partial mastectomy, then six weeks later, radiation treatments for more eight weeks, and finally, SIX YEARS later, I am still cancer free! Even tho I summed this up in a short paragraph, it in no way explains the pain, the heart-break, the worry, and the feelings that one goes thru when you hear that terrible word “cancer”. I am a strong Christian, tho, and I know God has a plan for my life, so I am trying to give back to those who have not been as lucky as I have been. That’s why Relay for Life means so much and I will be walking this year on October 17th in Belton, Texas! I also have 41 of my fellow employees who will be walking with me! Oh, by the way, my brother? Well, that August at 4AM in the morning, we received a call that they had a donor for him and he received his kidney afterall! GOD IS GOOD!!

No comments:

Post a Comment