Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Watching a fighter become a survivor

This story is written so well by Chandra. I know that survivors like this encourge us to be better.

Hello!
My name is Chandra and I work at Curves in North Carolina. This past Feb. I met a lovely women in our club that had recently been diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Her name is Verna, and she had a sad demeanor when she first disclosed the news with me. I instantly grew a bound with Verna, wanting her to get all the support she needed. I found her to be a strong willed, spiritual and beautiful women. She took cancer by storm! I watched the process of her treatments. When she started to loose her hair, she wore a wig...until one day I said "Verna you do know that you are prettier with that wig off then on" Ever since then she came into our club with high spirits and wig free. She always had a smile on her face, even when the radiation was sucking the life out of her. She was loosing all her fair from her face and her nails were wilting down. BUT Verna NEVER gave up, she came into our club and worked out hard. We were so proud of her. She never gave up on herself. Over the summer Verna had a mastectomy and it was a success. The doctor told her never in his years of practicing has he seen so much cancer in one breast and it NOT be everywhere on her body. Although not deemed "cancer free" officially- the cancer had been removed! She came into her club weeks after the surgery with so much grace and freedom- it made me cry. I have never met a stronger women. She looked cancer right in the face and said " No you will not beat me". She put her faith in God 100% and he never left her side. When Verna was going through her treatments, I would look at her and forget about all my petty problems. She made me want to be a better, stronger and more faithful person. I saw the transformation of cancer inside a strong women, and I will forever be a Breast Cancer Awareness promoter.

Take care & God Bless!
Chandra

No comments:

Post a Comment