Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Helping other women...

Julie,

How selfless of you to participate in a clinical trial to help other women, even though you did not need any treatments after your surgery! I applaud you! Together we can find a cure!

Amy


Good Morning, I am a 37 year old mother of 3, who was recently diagnosed with multi-focal breast cancer in March of 09. I had been having pain in both breast that was unusual for me, this started in Dec. of 08 and went for my annual in Feb. of 09. The nurse felt for lumps and found nothing but still sent me for a mammogram. I received a call a few days after the mammo with news that they had found a spot close to the chest wall and was to see a surgeon about a biopsy. When I went to see the surgeon she could not feel any lumps either and went ahead with the biopsy. The biopsy came back positive, and we proceeded with a lumpectomy. The lumpectomy came back with unclear margins and I was scheduled for a breast MRI. After the MRI, the surgeon told me that the opposite side would need to be biopsied as well because of a suspicious area. To avoid as much emotional stress as possible I went ahead and decided to have a bilateral mastectomy. This has been the biggest emotional roller coaster that I have ever been on. Just finding out that I had cancer was enough to cripple me emotionally, but I am at the point now that my oncologist is offering participation in a clinical trail. I have found out that I do not have to have chemo, but I have made to agonizing decision to take part in the trial because of my age and because I could help women in the future make these decisions. I have had one treatment and I am already wondering what I have got myself into, but I have to finish the course of treatment to help future generations of women. My heart goes out to any woman facing breast cancer, If we could only find a cure.

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment