Tuesday, December 1, 2009

My mastectomies saved my life

This story speaks for itself.


My name is Jeri and I am a 2-time breast cancer survivor. My experience with DCIS starts with having to tell all my friends and family about it. I asked so many questions of my doctors and investigated as much as I could so that when the time came to share with everyone, I would have all the answers. Of course, you never have all the answers. With my friends and family at my side, I had 2 lumpectomys only to still not have a clear margin. My questions not answered. Then after my bilateral MRI, all my questions were still not answered. With a 5% chance of there still being more cancer, I decided to have the masectomy, which in my case may have saved my life. After the surgery, my doctor told me that I did the right thing because they found more cancer. I took it in stride and was out of the hospital after only 2 days. I wanted to get home and get on with my life. My friends and family were there for me to make it through this rough time. Then, 2 years later, another diagnosis of breast cancer in the other breast. No questions asked this time. I had another masectomy because I didn't want to ask any more questions. I wanted to control of my destiny and I would not let this cancer take the best of me. Now, 2 years later, I have helped so many of my friends and their firiends with my knowledge and experience and have showed them that we cannot be afraid. we must take control and beat this thing and not let it get the best of us. Knowledge is power and I pass it on in the hopes that it will help someone make the decision that is best for them.
Sincerly, Jeri


No comments:

Post a Comment