Sunday, June 14, 2009

Survivor Story - Monica M., Age 36

Thanks for sharing your story, Monica. I can relate to many aspects of your story, since I was 32 with 3 kids (12, 2 & 6 mos) when I was first diagnosed. And thanks for the touch of humor ... you can't get through this journey without it.

Kim

My name is Monica Malone. I am 36 years old. I am a wife, mother, daughter, and friend. I live in the middle of no where better known as Proctor, Arkansas. My husband Randy and I are the proud parents of Lyndsey, 18, Taylor, 11, and Mason, 9. This is my story.

The fall of 2006 was forever life-changing. My mom was dying of pancreatic cancer, and my daughter was turning 16. I found a lump in my breast. I knew instantly it was cancer. I was 33 years old. Who has cancer at 33? I did. Within a matter of 6 weeks, I had a biopsy, a mastectomy, a port placement, my 1st chemo treatment, and slept through my daughter’s 16th birthday.

Pink became the family’s favorite color. Not red, but pink. The color of survival. The color that gave us hope. I had fears to face. Pink became my armor. Chemo was my first fear.

I was scared to death to face chemo. Yes because of all the side effects of chemo…hair loss, nausea, vomiting, the loss of my “normal” life, but more so that I was going to be with old people who were ready to die. I was only 33. I was not ready to die. I soon realized how much I had in common with the others. We were all fighting to live. I then had to face the fear of how my children would deal with me being sick from treatment. I was their mother, the taxi driver, the baker, the social secretary. What was going to happen? My family happened. My husband became the taxi driver, my daughter the social secretary, and my boys remained boys. I learned that no matter how weak the chemo made me, I was just as strong a mother from the couch as I was in the driver’s seat.

My next fear was radiation. Were they going to give me too much? How bad was it going to burn me? While radiation was not as harsh as chemo, the sound of that heavy door closing was enough to shake any one’s soul. But with every slam of that door, I was one step closer to being deemed cancer free.

Throughout this journey I have learned my share of lessons. Cancer does not mean death. Kids are resilient and cope better than many adults. Friends you did not know you had become the ones you cannot live without. Wigs are hot and no one will tell you it is crooked.

I am a simple person. I do not ask for lavish things. I love God, my family, my friends, my life. As you read my story, I hope that you this with you. Do not use cancer as an excuse. It is not. So what if you sleep through a birthday party. Who said that you could only have one party? Do not let cancer rule your life, rule the cancer. Use it to your advantage. Talk to people, tell them your story. They might need to hear it. Better yet, you might to need to hear theirs.

I am now finished with chemo, radiation and 42 weeks of Herceptin. I take Tamoxifen everyday. My cancer markers are within an acceptable range. I have shoulder length hair that beats any wig. I wear a prosthetic breast that is known to make an unexpected public appearance at any given time. I am a survivor.

No comments:

Post a Comment