Sunday, June 14, 2009

Survivor Story, Clair J.O.

Thanks for sharing, Clair! Sadly, I've heard many stories of mis-diagnosis. My original weblog chronicles my journey through first thinking that my cancer was back, being told it wasn't, then discovering that it really was! It is so important that women stay on top of their own healthcare. So glad you mentioned the discharge to the physician's assistant.

Sorry to hear that you've had such a painful journey. But it's no coincidence that you are now being placed in people's paths who need advice or just to talk. God has a way of working these things out!


In June, I had a mammogram and was told that all was well. Four short months later in October when I visited my family doctor's office because of bronchitis, I mentioned to the (female) Physician's Assistant that I had noticed a nipple discharge. I probably would not have even mentioned it to my (male) doctor, but I thought maybe I had an infection or something minor. After all, I had gone through a recent mammogram and hadn't noticed any lumps.

I soon learned that no lumps did not mean no cancer, and a poorly read mammogram radically changed my life. My oncologist pointed out the cancer on the mammogram film--even my untrained eye could see it. Sadly, the trained eyes that had read the results four months earlier had missed it.That was eight years ago. Since the cancer was spread through the ducts, with no lump to singularly remove, I underwent a mastectomy and reconstruction. Then I developed painful internal scarring and fought with that for the next seven years--pain pills, steroid shots, nerve blockers, even Theragesic--all were futile attempts to deaden the pain.

My arm movement has been limited due to the capsular contracture, and as a college professor, I had to adapt my classroom teaching style since writing on the board was no longer feasible. I also had to learn to cover the pain since when it felt like a hot sword was piercing my right breast and I grimaced in class, concerned students would ask what was wrong. I couldn't very well tell them, "My boob hurts." Times may have changed but not that much!While I did not go through any radiation or chemotherapy, I endured pain. I underwent surgery again last month, and the doctor removed extensive scar tissue, so I'm on the mend again and now fighting an implant infection. I am determined that this time I will heal and not deal with constant pain for the rest of my life.

I have often wondered, why me? Then, as students noticed the pink ribbons and the links on our class websites where they could click to help provide mammograms, they made connections. One young man confided in me that his mother was battling breast cancer, and I provided him with some information that might help him cope, along with some connections that might help his mother. Then another student came in, crying. Her mother had just been diagnosed. The family wasn't happy with the doctor she was seeing, and I gave her the number for my doctor and the number for Hope Lodge. Still another student came in, only this time she was the one waiting on the results after a scary mammogram. I volunteer every year at the Komen Race for the Cure--nothing major, just handing out pink t- shirts to other survivors. We are a growing group, but I pray I see the day that breast cancer is eradicated and no longer a threat.Education takes place in many ways. While my principal role as an educator focuses on English and Literature in the college classroom, I have another side role--to pass on what I can when students are dealing with breast cancer in their families. For some, simply knowing that I went through it and beat it is enough to give them hope.

Clair J.O.

No comments:

Post a Comment