Friday, June 19, 2009

Mary, 55-y.o., has Gift of Reaching Out to Others

Mary,

Thanks for sharing! I admire your unselfishness and dedication to helping other women with breast cancer. Rock on! (as my doctor always tells me.)

I, too, look forward to the day when all women don't have to fear getting breast cancer. One day a cure will be found, and we'll look back on this pink ribbon campaign fondly, knowing that we helped fund the fight for a cure. Pinkribbonshop.com and the others will go out of business because there will be no need for pink ribbons. Until then, we can spread the word of the importance of monthly breast self exams and yearly mammograms.

Thanks again,
Kim


On June 11, 2004, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was 55 years old. My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer at 55, but lost her battle at 57. This June I will be 60!!! After the shock, I was determined to fight the fight. I had chemo, mastectomy, reconstruction and radiation. 2 weeks out of treatment, I did the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. I made it all 39.3 miles...this year was my 5th year to walk 39.3 miles! During the last 4 years, I have been very involved with Avon Foundation, Army of Women, the American Cancer Society. I have reached out to many women, offering hope and encouragement..helping them to walk the walk..helping them to keep a positive attitude, giving support, a big dose of humor, lots of prayers and lots of love.

I have been lucky enough to be on the cover of the brochure for the Cancer Center where I had my treatment. My "story" was used in their annual fund raising letter. I was interviewed by a Boston TV station during one of my Avon Walks. I have been asked to be a speaker so that I can tell my story to others. I have a web site www.roisinbcsite.com.

God has given me a very special gift, a gift of reaching out to others...and I find these people in all kinds of places.....grocery stores, pizza take out places, even bathrooms!!!! I have been given the chance to meet so many people, all with different stories of their journey in this battle. The friendships I have made have enriched my life and given me even more reasons to be there for as many as I can...to keep fighting to rid this world of this devastating disease....to make sure that our children, grandchildren, relatives, friends, will never have to be "Survivors". They will be "Cured".

I have a niece, 39 years old, who has just been dianosed with aggressive, invasive ductal carcinoma which has metastasized to her liver. They have given her the "numbers" 3-5 yrs. She has a husband and 2 daughters....how many times have we all heard these stories...how much longer will we HAVE to???? How many more lives will be lost? How many more families will be left without someone they love?

The call to end Breast Cancer is NOW!! Promote early detection..it does save lives. Walk, donate time or money, join the "Army of Women"......be aware of what's going on in our legislature.

Love and Peace,
Mary Roisin

No comments:

Post a Comment