Friday, June 19, 2009

Casey, 32-y.o. Stage IV, "Cancer Free"

Casey had the full array of treatments for her stage IV breast cancer, although the lung biopsy proved inconclusive. Here's hoping that the questionable lung area was just a shadow, or the like!


This is mine –

I’m a one year (and counting!) stage IV breast cancer survivor… that began w/ a routine doctor’s appointment. I gave birth to my second son in September 2007 and four months later, almost to the day, was diagnosed. I was 32 years old and not completely surprised, given the fact my grandmother passed away from “breast cancer” at age 52 (as a 2 time survivor.) At the time of my biopsy of lumps in both breasts and left side lymph node, I knew it wasn’t going to be good news. But I wasn’t at all prepared for the news that the cancer had most likely spread to my lung. The lung biopsy was inconclusive due to the location of the questionable areas. We proceeded as if I had metastatic breast cancer to the lymph nodes and lung. I did the whole kit and caboodle of treatments: first, chemo, then a bilateral mastectomy w/ expanders, radiation, reconstruction surgery, and lastly, a full hysterectomy as I am positive for the BRCA II gene.

During the second opinion clinic where I found out about the suspicious spots on my lung, I let myself wallow in self pity for about 10 minutes… my biggest feat, so I thought, would be losing my hair and as everyone tells you, it does grow back! God cleared this path for me for a reason and I couldn’t change my circumstances – so, I moved on and ahead! And my biggest feat wasn’t losing my hair, but rather dealing w/ a new status of having a “pre-existing” breast cancer diagnosis and finding decent affordable healthcare coverage as a wife of someone self-employed. And that’s not so bad considering what I’ve been through over the last year and a half! I’m a very open and positive person who puts all her concentration on her two sons (and husband) and living life in every sense of the word! J I am truly blessed in so many ways!

Today, I am cancer free. I owe it to a fantastic medical team, supportive friends and family, prayer and positive thinking, and the drug Herceptin!

Best wishes to those who share a similar story,

Casey Martinez

No comments:

Post a Comment