Saturday, June 13, 2009

Survivor Story - Janice D.,

Janice,
Thanks so much for sharing your story! You sure have been through so much. We would love to post your story on our weblog, and I'm sure it will inspire some fellow survivors.

My journey to breast cancer and survivorship. About ten years ago I fell ill and it took doctors three months to realize that I had toxic goiters on my thyroid. After radioactive iodine treatment I am taking medication for the rest of my life. Three years later I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis of the lungs and skin. After a five year regimen of prednisone in large doses my weight went from 140 lbs to 300 lbs. I developed diabetes, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, carpal tunnel, gall bladder problems, cushings disease and numerous other side effects. I was on a total of 23 pills a day. I endured open lung biopsy, right breast surgery to rule out breast cancer which was benign, gall bladder removal, arthroscopic surgery on my knee, carpal tunnel surgery, retinal detachment corrective surgery on both eyes, and during all this I was totally supported by my four grown children and very close friends. Since the right breast had been biopsied and microcalcifications were found, I remained diligent on yearly mammos and became the family advocate for breast cancer awareness. I tell you all this because this was just the beginning of my journey to the realization of how fragile life is. I was unable to work, lost everything I had and moved in with a friend who opened his home and helped care for me. As I began the road to recovery I developed fibromyalgia and suffered some set backs. I did my best to look after my aging parents and finally was able to relocate closer to them so I could care for them on a regular basis. I did this for five years.Last September 2008 I decided since I had lost some weight to partake in the breast cancer awareness 5K walk in my local area. I completed it in 55 mins. It was a major accomplishment for me to be able to do this and in support of something that was close to me having lost a grandmother to breast cancer in her early 40's. My dad passed away in April of 2008 and I moved in with my mother to care for her 24/7. Six months after my father's passing, (November 2008 )I was diagnosed with Stage I breast cancer in my left breast. My routine mammo was in September of 2008 and after repeated mammos, ultrasounds and breast MRI and finally breast biopsy, the result was cancer. I never felt a lump or anything that made me suspiscious. I was devasted and took two days to tell my children because I was unable to say the word "cancer". I had surgery on the 21st of November and began radiation treatments just days before Christmas. My four children were with me through the entire surgical procedure and supported me through the duration of my treatments and continue to support me today. I continued to care for my mother while going through my treatments every day and twice a day during the last week of treatments. I was tired and losing weight, but with the support of my children and friends I endured and finished my treatments the middle of February 2009. I am now taking oral medication for the next five years. Cancer made me rethink life and changed my life in many ways. I just participated in the Revlon 5K walk for women's cancer in NYC on May 2nd of this year with my daughters. I have begun a part time job working two days a week and appreciating everything life has to offer. I have had a long journey to breast cancer, and my journey I know is not over, but it has been a journey that has helped me become the person I am today. My story may not be unique, but it is a journey of ill health that I have traveled since I was 45 years old. I feel all the health issues I had prior to my breast cancer were conditioning agents to help me build strength to accept and deal with my cancer. My road has not been an easy one, but my breast cancer is the one that changed my life more than any other. I am thankful to be a survivor and will walk again in the local 5K walk for breast cancer this fall again, but this year I will be walking as a survivor. Thank you for letting me share my story.

Janice D.

No comments:

Post a Comment