Saturday, June 13, 2009

Our 1st survivor story! Dana P., Age 41

Wow, that was fast! Our first survivor story has arrived ...

I was 41 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2008. I underwent 6 months of chemotherapy, a mastectomy and removal of lymph nodes, 5 weeks of radiation and a full year of Herceptin IV treatments. Only a couple weeks ago I had my port removed which, to me, signified the end of the treatment chapter. My mission now is to maintain as healthy a lifestyle as I possibly can to do my part in fighting a recurrance. I have changed my diet by eliminating refined sugar, white flour and dairy and have switched to organics. I work on maintaining a calm state of mind through acupuncture and meditation. Although all I wanted was to go on with my old life and to walk away and leave the whole cancer experience behind me once treatments were finished, that was not to be. Just last month I opened a wig shop and mastectomy boutique that caters to women going through cancer treatment. It has already been a truly rewarding endeavor to have the priviledge of serving so many couragous women. As unwelcome as it was, cancer has truly enriched my life in ways I never dreamed possible.
Dana P

1 comment:

  1. Dana,

    Thanks for being the 1st to respond to our call for survivor stories! We'd love to post your story on our weblog.

    So glad to hear that your treatments have ended. I know how great that feels!

    Wow, you really have made some big changes in your life just since last year. I, too, have made changes exercise-wise and some dietary changes, although I'm not nearly as disciplined as you to give up refined sugar, white flour, and dairy.

    Congratulations on your new business, isn't it something how cancer changes things, and sometimes for the better?

    Kim

    ReplyDelete