Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Exercise and Breast Cancer

As I start my second year of half-marathon training, I feel compelled to encourage all you couch potato ladies to get out and do something! Like you, I had a million and one excuses for not starting or sticking to an exercise plan. I'm too busy with work. I'm too busy with my kids. I'm too tired after work. I'm too tired after a day with my kids. I've never been a runner. I'm just not athletic. I can't even jog to the end of my street. I get tired just going up and down the stairs. Or, my own personal favorite (that I myself said frequently): I'm fat and happy!

When people hear that I ran a half marathon after training for just 6 months, I sometimes get, "You're obviously gifted athletically." This couldn't be farther from the truth. In school I never ran track, played volleyball, basketball, softball, or any other sport. I danced during high school, but after that I was rather inactive. My sedentary lifestyle led to a gradual weight gain and with that, a poor self esteem and embarrassment of my own body. Four kids and two bouts with breast cancer later, I was heavier than I had ever been, and I didn't feel good.

At age 40 and with a Stage IV cancer diagnosis, I joined a running club that met once a week for a group run and provided a during-the-week training schedule that, if followed, would prepare you to run a half marathon in six months. It worked! The sense of accomplishment of completing a half marathon, even at my slow jog pace, was amazing. What's even more amazing is the transformation my body has undergone. It's still far from perfect, but I feel so strong! I AM strong!

I know that not everyone with cancer can go out and start running. I know that I am truly blessed with the physical ability to do all these things, especially with Stage IV breast cancer. But I am here to say that the human body is an amazingly made thing! I went from total slough to half marathon runner in 6 months. Along the way, I lost 26 pounds and gained self-confidence, endurance, strength, and cardiovascular fitness. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would run for fun and exercise. It's not the actual running that feels good (sometimes it's quite difficult and painful.) It's the results of the running that feels good!

Additionally, studies have found that women who exercise regularly have a reduced risk of developing breast cancer. And among women who have already had breast cancer, those who are active can reduce their risk of recurrence. Here's a link to an awesome Q&A by the experts on breastcancer.org: http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/ask_expert/2006_01/. So what are you waiting for??

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment