Saturday, August 8, 2009

Catina L., Diagnosed at Age 32, 5-Year Survivor

Catina has made it to the 5-year milestone -- may she have many, many years ahead as a survivor!

There seem to be so many survivors out there whose husbands either (a)don't provide support during their cancer treatments, or (b)leave them during their cancer treatments. It's amazing how a little adversity allows someone's true colors to come out! The guys who do this -- you don't need them anyway! And the strong ladies that this happens to -- they come out of their cancer journey, and subsequent relationship break-up, EVEN STRONGER!

I thank God for my husband who has stuck by me through my journey, which I like to summarize like this: two boobs / one boob, hair / no-hair / hair again, fat belly / flat belly, and two boobs again. He says he's enjoyed the variety (ha) and his love (and lust!) for me has never wavered. Thanks Danny!

Kim

My Survivor Story

Hello survivors and co/survivors,

My name is Catina and I was diagnosed with Stage 2 bilateral breast cancer at the five years ago, at the age of 32. I found a lump on my right breast by doing a self breast exam. I didn't believe it to be a cancer tumor, just a cyst or a boil. So for the next few months I had continued to plan for my wedding. Two months had went by and the tumor had grown in size. While on my honeymoon, I had noticed it was as large as a half a dollar. I still thought and wanted to believe that it was a cyst because I (thought) was to young to have breast cancer.

Well, on the first Tuesday in September (2004), I had my first visit in the mammography clinic at John Stroger, Jr. Hospital in Chicago, Illinois. The technician had performed an ultrasound on my right breast. From there I had went immediately to the Oncology Clinic. Devastating after devastation. After learning that I had dense breast tissue in the left breast with a enlarged lymph node along with the huge lump in my right breast. Like I said " devastation after devastation."

On October 28, 2004 I had a bilateral mastectomy. On January 13, 2005 I had begun my first of two cycles of chemo, once every three weeks. What kept me going was another breast cancer survivor. She held my hand the entire way. Even through the dark days when my "husband" felt he couldn't, wouldn't and didn't.

Today, I am happily divorced and living "cancer free." I often tell people that breast cancer was the best thing that has every happened to me. The immediate life lessons has taught me to appreciate the small stuff. I have learned not to rely on anyone to keep my spirits up, creativity is how to keep going. Yes, I have some bad days "cancer days" but the good days and the thankfulness that I have for just being alive is more than AWESOME.

Thank you for listening.

Catina L.
5 year Breast Cancer Survivor

No comments:

Post a Comment