Friday, July 3, 2009

Lois, 9-Year Survivor, Recommends Genetic Testing before Treatment

Lois, a nine-year survivor, offers advice regarding the timing of treatment options. From my experience with the medical establishment and also from hearing from 100's of breast cancer survivors, there is a wide variety of treatment recommendations among medical professionals.

When I was first diagnosed with cancer, I just wanted it out of my body, asap! Tough decisions had to be made, somewhat hastily. There was pressure from my biopsy surgeon to act quickly -- and I don't mean this in a bad way ... I appreciated this about him! Due to the extent of my cancer (dirty margins at biopsy,) lumpectomy alone was not an option. My options were: mastectomy with immediate reconstruction or mastectomy with delayed reconstruction. In my case, there was no question on if I would have chemotherapy. Radiation was mentioned, but it seemed to be a far-off notion. Genetic testing was also mentioned, because I had 3 daughters, but again, it certainly did not seem to me to be a priority. My priority was getting rid of the cancer!

Bottom line is this: gather as much information as you can (and that your brain can handle during this crazy time,) get 2nd and even 3rd opinions, and make informed decisions to the best of your ability about your healthcare.

Kim


If I can help someone can gain knowledge from my story- than I will be thrilled

In 2000 I was diagnosed with breast cancer- my Mother was a survivor- I went through the normal panic and fear but moved forward with a traditional lumpectomy, 6 months of chemo, 6 months of radiation.

When that was completed I was extremely fearful, as we all are, that this could re-occur- my doctor suggested going through the genetic test (BRCA1-BRCA-2) I had to fight my insurance to get the test (and I have good insurance or so I thought- BCBS) anyway 3 months later the test returned positive- I had both genes BRCA-1 BRCA -2 - I went into counseling and they told me I had a 85% chance of recurrence and the second time you get breast cancer- it hits harder- so it was very clear to me to have a double mastectomy- with reconstruction- again I had to fight my insurance to get this procedure.

Well if someone can learn from my mistake- I wish I had the genetic test before I went through chemo /radiation- because the reconstruction failed because the radiation had destroyed my tissue so severely that the skin could not heal. Nonetheless- I am thrilled that I had the double mastectomy- I am healthy and happy - my doctors have suggested inplants which is a great option right now- but at this point I really am not interested- they have some wonderful bras out there and swimming suites- so I am healthy and thank God for each new day!!!!

I did work hard to get my health in good order- I lost 57 lbs, I run on the treadmill everyday and I try to eat as healthy as possible.

I know how tough the decisions are when you are hit with the horrrible news- but my suggestion is that women consider the genetic test before they go through chemo or radiation-

Lois M.

No comments:

Post a Comment