Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Diana B., Fighting Her Way Through Breast Cancer with Poetry

Diana,

Thanks for sharing your story! You are yet another survivor who's found it therapeutic to write about her cancer experience. Hopefully our stories will encourage others to put their pen to paper (or fingers to the keyboard!)

Kim


When I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I had no idea what lay ahead. The surgery, crippling side-effects of chemo and radiation, and the emotions that threatened to boil over pushed me to write for my life. I am first a mother and wife and I feared that I couldn't fight cancer and fulfill my family and work responsibilities. I've dealt with the disfigurement, loss of employment and the travails of insurance by writing poetry. I know I am more than my breast cancer. I wanted my daughter, Ashley, to have a normal life while I underwent treatment and I was determined to make that happen. What I didn't expect, is how much my daughter would help me. I wanted other women with breast cancer to know that they are not alone in the many emotions breast cancer brings with it, fear, anger, sadness, despair; so I expressed these feelings through my poetry.

My book, "Fighting My Way Through Breast Cancer With Poetry" was recently published and is for sale on amazon.com. It takes the reader step by step through my breast cancer journey. It is my first book. I live in California with my husband, Dick and my 16 yr. old daughter, Ashley, and celebrated my 1 yr. anniversary as a survivor in Feb. 2009. I know breast cancer will always be something I have to fight, but I will NEVER allow it to become who I am.

Diana B.

No comments:

Post a Comment