Sunday, October 10, 2010

Love every minute of life!

My name is Mary, I am 46 years old. In Dec 2009, I felt a small lump in
a week, I went for my Mammogram on Dec. 30th, 2009. They took a lot of
pictures, I was moved from the big waiting room to a room by myself. I had
a feeling it was bad but still remained optimistic. They wanted to do the ultrasound. The Radiologist said she was done with the armpit but wanted to look at the one in the breast. I didn’t know there was anything in the breast. She showed
me the difference between the armpit and the breast. She said the armpit looks
Fibrocystic but the breast has characteristics of breast cancer. I left and came back 3 hrs later and did a needle biopsy on both areas. On January 4th, 2010 (had to wait 5 days because of New Years Eve) I got the call that the armpit was a cyst but the Breast was cancer. I couldn’t believe it I did not have breast cancer in my family. The next few weeks were a blur, surgeon consult, MRI, lumpectomy. I went for Surgery Jan. 15th 2010, it was a lumpectomy. The tumor was only 6mm and all margins were clear, no lymph node involvement. We were all very excited until a few
Days later when I realized I have triple negative breast cancer. Triple negative is a rare Sub type of breast cancer that only affects 15% of breast cancer diagnosis. It is very aggressive, high recurrence rate, and usually happens before menopause. When I realized my only options were chemo and radiation, I decided to do both. I did 4 rounds of chemo starting with T/C. I had a bad reaction to taxotere and had to stop getting it. I started taking A/C for 3 more rounds. Losing my hair was very difficult for me. I didn’t realize how vain I was till I was bald. Chemo was very difficult and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. However, I still worked fulltime and stayed very active with my 3 kids (14, 10, 6) and husband. I ended chemo April 1st and started Radiation May 3rd and ended June 18th. Radiation was much easier than chemo but it still burned the skin and brought on fatigue. I am currently still working fulltime and keeping busy with my kids sports activities. My husband of almost 19 years was so good to me and stayed positive. Some of the things I learned are: stay current on checkups, you must become your own advocate, surround yourself with wonderful, caring people, love every minute of life, appreciate the help that is offered and take it, look at things with a whole
new perspective. I had a hard time watching the people around me at infusion and
Radiation so sick, it broke my heart. Just live life and go get mammograms!!!!!

Mary



No comments:

Post a Comment