Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Not necessarily doomed!

In this world you will have trouble ...

After receiving the news Friday, I admit that we were pretty bummed!  I had a really nice girls day out / birthday luncheon with all 3 of my girls on Saturday, which definitely helped take my mind off things.  We laughed a lot and didn't talk about the big C.  My worries lingered though, both before and after lunch.  I shouldn't have, but I later reread the radiology reports, which made me feel doomed!  But I'm realizing that I'm not necessarily doomed.  I've been in this situation before, where all the tests indicated that I was on a fast track to death by cancer.  That was 8 years ago!  I just have to move forward with the new treatment plan and hope and pray for the best.

Dr. Coscio put me on some relatively high-dose steroids for now and the duration of radiation therapy, in an effort to reduce some inflammation seen around the epidural protrusion of the spinal bone mets.  I think this is helping!  I still have some weakness in the left leg, but not nearly as much pain. And I'm realizing that I feel much better than I look on paper!  On paper:  doomed.  In person:  a little tired, but alive!  So I need to keep things in perspective.

Radiation yesterday was easy-peasy.  Just as I remember it when I received radiation therapy to the chest 14 years ago.  Because of the location this time, I was told that I may experience nausea and diarrhea.  This would probably occur toward the end of the 2-week course because some of the radiation would inevitably hit some digestive system areas.  Fingers crossed that this doesn't happen, or if it does, it's not too severe or longlasting.

I so so appreciate all the outpouring of support and prayers I've received from friends and family.  It really is uplifting and encouraging to know that so many people care.  I feel God communicating with me as well.  It seems like every song on KSBJ is speaking His words to me!  It may sound silly, but God's word in Christian music has a way of really ministering to me in times of need.

... But take heart!  I have overcome the world!  (John 16:33)

4 comments:

  1. Dear Kim, I love the way you presented the scripture in this blog post. My girls saw a post on Facebook, so I wanted to catch up with you. I am so sorry you are going through this. I love how honest you are with what you are going through. Christian music really does soothe the spirit. I often hear God speaking to me through the words and melody of the music. There isn't anything silly about that. My prayers. I especially pray that you will escape the experience of nausea with the current treatment. Blessings and strength in the Lord. I miss seeing you. Please tell your daughters hello for me. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kim.

    Not silly at all!! Heb. 4:12 tells us that God's Word is powerful and effective!! Revelations 12 tells us that we have overcome by the BLOOD of the lamb and the Word of our testimony. 1 Pet. 2:24 tells us that by the stripes of Jesus, we are healed...for he bore our infirmities in His Body. So even though you are going thru this very difficult time, you have the victory IN Christ Jesus. As the scripture you included tells us
    He has overcome, so those IN HIM are also overcomers!

    My sincere prayers for you. Jesus is a healer. You are brave and bold and may God continue to bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know who you are but your story is inspiring You will be in my thoughts and my prayers. My mother died of breast cancer 20 some years ago and they have made such advances. I will keep you in my prayers and know that I have friends that have won the battle and ones that are still fighting. God Bless you and enjoy each day and enjoy your daughters. My mom and I grew quite close at the end I wish I would have told her I love her more often but I think in the end she knew. But you can never say it enough. God Bless you and watch over you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim- I have been a patron of your shop for many years and am a recent breast cancer survivor. You are an amazing and inspiring woman! You will be in my thoughts. Keep up the fight!

    ReplyDelete