Thursday, May 28, 2009

Long Day / Great Day!

Okay, so the cancer day WAS long, but the waiting didn't seem so bad today. The morning BK Cini-Mini's & decaf "Big Joe," along with the delicious-NOT banana-flavored barium really kept my hunger at bay throughout the day. And the best part: no enema today!! Woohooooo! Unbeknownst to me, my doctor did not order the usual CT scan of the pelvis which is what requires the barium enema. I wasn't about to argue with that. How's this for perspective -- Any day without an enema is a good day!

Today was my appointment with my doctor to get the results from Tuesday's tests. The results: Great news! Everything is stable, nothing new seen, no changes, tumor marker levels in normal range.

Other good news is that she's changing my monthly infusion of Zometa (to heal/build bone for treatment of my bone metastasis) to every 3 months. During testing, Zometa was only given for 2 years. So using it beyond 2 years is really a no-man's land. No one really knows what to do after 2 years. Because all Zometa that is given actually stays in the bone and is there forever (as explained by my Dr. Green,) my doctor said that it can actually be harmful to the bones, possibly making them more brittle instead of stronger, if given for longer than 2-3 years. I am pretty sure that Zometa is given to prevent/treat osteoporosis to non-cancer patients only every 6 months to a year. I've been getting it monthly for 3 years! At this point I am ready to accept the less frequent dosing to decrease the possibility of brittle bones. Plus I'm not going to lie ... I was really getting tired of the monthly bloodwork and IV infusion. Enough already!

Still had to get the injection of Zolodex (to curtail estrogen production in my body) today, and that will remain on a monthly schedule.

Next scans have been bumped out to every SIX months!

Lots to be happy about today, thanks for all the prayers and THANK YOU GOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment