Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Busy week!!!

Very busy week this week! A whopping 60+ new products are being introduced @ The Pink Ribbon Shop, which is quite a labor intensive task. Several weeks ago, Cookie the cat showed up in our back yard, clearly expecting, and stole our hearts. On March 2nd, we welcomed 3 new additions to our family: kittens Tigger, Finn & Tex. Adorable. Needy. I volunteered to provide a crock pot of soup for our church's Lenten service Wednesday night, so need to grocery shop and of course cook the soup. On Thursday, I'm having a cleaning lady (first time in about 4 months) come clean my house, which means I've had to nag/yell/scream at my kids to help straighten up in the house (their messes, that is) so that Maria can clean it. My 2nd daughter, Christa, turned 15 last week and is having a party at our house Friday night (pray for us!) It will be an accomplishment if we can keep the house guest-worthy through Friday evening, after which it will probably be a mess again after having 15-20 teenagers over. Plus all the party food/snacks need to be prepared (The birthday girl has special requests, after all!) AND, Saturday morning our family is participating in a 5K Family Fun Walk to support a local Avon Walk for Breast Cancer team, the KingwooDDivas. For the first time ever, I will be speaking (in public) about my breast cancer journey (pray for me!) It's pretty lame that I am nervous about this event, considering it need only be 3-5 minutes long, but public speaking is just something that I have no experience in. I have some ideas on what I will say, but nothing definite yet ... clearly I will have to work on that before Saturday! It will be a small crowd, so perhaps a good way to get my feet wet. I've never thought of myself and my story as "inspirational" as some people say. I'm just a busy mom who happens to have breast cancer. Doing everything in my power to stick around for as long as possible, although it's really out of my hands. To me, it's only by the grace of God that I am still alive to tell my story. It's really nothing I've done. I've been blessed with a great family, a great doctor and treatment facility (MD Anderson,) and a Maker who is evidently not finished with me yet!

Cancer-wise, I'm doing pretty good. At least I think I am. I find that as long as I live a sedentary, inactive lifestyle, I feel good ... which sucks in SO many ways, but I'm not in the mood to complain today, so I won't! Next scans are on April 11th and doc visit is the following week for results. Hoping and praying for good results (regression/disappearance of tumors, or at the very least, no growth) so I won't need to move on to harsher chemo. Liking my hair these days! Would like to keep it awhile longer! More prayers, please!

Thanks for reading -- would love to hear from some of you!

Kim

2 comments:

  1. Kim, i am in awe..... My name is Jennifer and I am 38 yrs old, 2 young children and had stage 3 breast cancer diagnosed in June this past summer. I just had my right breast removed prophalactically on Friday. My drain is still in. Thank you for what you do. The Pink Ribbon Store, your family, the walking.

    Everyone that I come in contact with say how strong I am, and how well I am coping. They ask me jow do I do it? I just keep going. I have to because I want to see my daughter graduate and get married (she's 10) and my son (he's 4). I will be starting a Breast Cancer Support Group in the Town where I live. The closest support group is 30 miles away.

    I am a Nurse Practitionerand find it is easy for me but for some, it is hard to get to the support group 30 miles away.

    Jennifer Bagley
    www.thecaringsoulblog.blogspot.com
    www.holisticnursingconnection.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Jen, just KEEP GOING! I've done nothing special or extraordinary ... like you, I've just got too much to do and too much to live for to simply stop living and give up!

    Way to go on starting your support group. My friend, Amy, and I did one at our church for a time a few years ago, until we were ready to move on in our journey.

    Blessings,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete