Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My cup is 1/2 full!

Jenine,

You have such a positive attitude and this is good medicine! You inspire others with your story. Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

Amy

My motto has always been "my glass is half full". April 27th I discovered my lump it’s the size of a golf ball. May 12, I saw my OBGYN and June 1, I was diagnosed with triple negative invasive ductile carcinoma. I am 34 years old. Tuesday July 6, I had my surgery to remove my lump, (who I have named Elvis) and I meet with my Oncologist on Monday. Now my motto is " my cup is 1/2 full". LOL! I started a site on caringbridge.org so that my friends and family could see that cancer was not something to be sad about. it was not going to ruin my day. The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, and life is filled with reasons to smile. Dr. Brown told me I would lose my long hair, that was the only time I cried. I had donated my hair 4 times to locks of love. Now I will get to do a fifth and final time. hair will grow back it will take 4-5 years to get this long, but it will grow back. I have received tremendous support from my co-workers up and down the east coast. As far away as Baltimore to Greensboro North Carolina. The boss even bought me a new touch pad for my computer when she heard I couldn't use my right hand for the mouse. I have gone to the ACS relay for life every year for 4 years with my friend Jen. My husband the manly construction worker pretended to be an Italian hairstylist while he washed my hair in the sink because I couldn't do it. He makes me laugh randomly and often. My Best friend Joy has gone to every appointment, stood by my side for my biopsy, bought me anything she could find that was pink and cleaned my house. Both my sister-in-laws took care of my beloved dog, sent me literature in the mail, and found beautiful jewelry that had pink ribbons on it. My estranged father now wants to be friends on SKYPE. So I ask. Why be sad? Why cry? Why waste a beautiful day worrying about something that I did not cause to happen? I have a wonderful support group, even the children of my friends have brought me pink flowers, made pink candy, and plan on participating in the race for the cure in October. I have no reason to be sad, no reason to cry, because my life is surrounded by love, friendship, hope and support. Cancer will not ruin my day, because this is the only July 17th, 2010 that I will ever have, and I plan on enjoying it! Remember laughter is the Breast medicine, and Elvis has left the building! Live each day with no regrets, smile at a stranger. have faith in humanity. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Save your energy for something fun don’t waste it on little things. I may live for 30 days I may live for 15 years, but I plan on living, laughing and loving as much as I can, while I can, because my cup is 1/2 full!
Thank you for letting me share my abbreviated story and I hope it will encourage others to look on the bright side.

No comments:

Post a Comment